Google recommends the following to get better rankings in their search engine:
- Make pages primarily for users, not for search engines.
- Don’t deceive your users.
- Make a site with a clear hierarchy and text links. Every page should be reachable from at least one static text link.
- Create a useful, information-rich site, and write pages that clearly and accurately describe your content.
- Make sure that your <title> elements and ALT attributes are descriptive and accurate. Eg when uploading an image of a skirt include words to describe it such as “a knee-length, navy skirt made from velvet”
- Use keywords to create descriptive title tags.